Back to School Blues? Prepare well and when term starts it’ll be a (cool) breeze!
2 Sept 2016, 15:46
As summer seems to be fading too quickly into autumn all the indications are there that the new school year starts imminently, if it hasn’t already. Whether you are a brand new teacher or a seasoned educational expert, it’s always good to be prepared prior to the start of term and according to Janelle Cox, Elementary Education Expert, there’s quite a lot to do! She provides an excellent (if exhaustive) list which you can see below.
Whether you adopt any or all of her suggestions, Voyager wish all our teachers, group leaders and students a fantastic school year ahead.
And don't forget to get a no obligation free quote on your next school tour from Voyager today! Find out more here .
Back to School Teachers Checklist:
- Wrote and mailed welcome letter to parents and students.
- Created name tags for students and their desks.
- Laminated name tags that include specific information such as walker, bus number, address etc.
- Read through student files to help determine placement in groups and activities.
- Determined seating chart and desk arrangement.
- Decorated the bulletin boards.
- Decorated the front door.
- Determined the rules and consequences or how you will have the class decide upon the rules.
- Decided on icebreaker activities for the first day of class.
- Collected activities and lessons for the first week of school.
- Became familiar with the class computer and other technology needed for the classroom.
- Decided how to welcome students and introduce them to the rules and procedures.
- Developed a substitute folder.
- Printed emergency contact form.
- Ordered extra supplies for students such as folder, pencils, glue etc.
- Set up Learning centres with supplies in place.
- Created classroom jobs.
- Camera ready to take pictures of the students.
- Got to know fellow teachers and staff members.
- Set up classroom calendar.
- Organize the classroom library.
- Made copies of all worksheets that you want to send home for the first week of school.
- Labelled workbooks, folders and textbooks with students' names.
- Gathered extra tissues, paper towels, band aids and emergency supplies.
- Created first newsletter to send home.
- Gathered book order information to send out.
- Have a reward or incentive box filled.
- Have a birthday chart ready to be filled out.
- Have all systems in order (homework basket, paperwork basket etc.)
- Take home folders are labelled and filled with the necessary paperwork.
- Purchased a lesson plan organizer and calendar.
- Purchased or gathered cleaning supplies for classroom.
- Purchased a bottle of aspirin for you, and hand sanitizer for the class.
- Gathered teacher materials and supplies.
- Create a routine for attendance, lunch count, walking in halls etc.
- Set up a class webpage to communicate with students and parents.
- Purchased any classroom supplies that is needed.
- Find out student schedule for lunch, gym, library etc.
- Obtained district curriculum standards.
- Prepared a folder for faculty meetings and information.
- Made copies of materials for the first few weeks.
- Posted lunch menu.
- Posted emergency evacuation and procedures.
- First aid kit stocked and in place.
- Shelves, cubbies and activity areas are clearly labelled.
- Decided how to manage homework.
- Decided how to manage using the toilet ( lavatory passes, just get up and go etc.)
Contact us today to receive a quote
Our experienced and friendly team is at hand to answer any questions you may have